The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Quality Assurance Manager opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Quality, Engineering or other relevant technical field; additional certifications are a plus, and we will consider non-degreed candidates with outstanding experience and demonstrated success.
- Quality assurance experience in manufacturing or heavy industry; maritime/shipyard experience is preferred but not required.
- Experience with quality standards, ideally ISO 9001.
- Experience collaborating with external auditors.
- A track record of success in driving process improvements.
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Solid computer skills, including MS Office applications (Word, intermediate to advanced Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- A clean driving record.
- The ability to drive to Alameda, CA within 45 minutes.
- Strong leadership skills, including the ability to:
- Manage direct reports.
- Influence and motivate others.
- Drive change in multi-site environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an outgoing, service-oriented personality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, including the ability to effectively write document processes and policy.
- A progressive and proactive approach to your work.
- The ability to solve problems and deal with complexity in a fast-paced, fluid environment.
- Strong team and meeting facilitation skills.
- Strict attention to detail.
Applicants need to be from the greater San Francisco Bay Area region, (no further than 45 miles from Alameda, CA) since relocation benefits are not offered.
You will typically work from 7 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday, although we'll look to you to be flexible. You'll also travel locally (Richmond and San Francisco) to various project sites.
Role OverviewNote: this is a high-level overview of the role. To take a deeper dive into the details, see the Role Specifics tab.
Quality at Bay Ship & Yacht
Our Quality Management System guarantees that every project is able to meet the customer's exacting standards. Each job is governed by a quality control checkpoint plan, which may include hundreds of individual inspections, affecting each of the 14 skilled craft departments and shops that make up our yard. The specialists in each craft use the QCCP to measure and examine work completed each day, and to judge whether it matches what was promised the customer. As our master checklist, the QCCP ensures that the right tasks are done at the right time, and in the right way.
The company's quality assurance program was accepted by Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) in 2015, and achieved QP 1 certification by the Society for Protective Coatings (SSPC) in 2012.
Leading the QA Charge
Reporting to the Operations Manager, you will supervise a Quality Assurance Coordinator; this position is open, and you'll take point on recruiting the right talent. You'll provide guidance and support regarding quality to Senior Leads in each craft, department heads and our training team.
You'll be responsible for maintaining and continuously improving Bay Ship & Yacht's Quality Management System (QMS), which is based on ISO 9001, acting in the capacity of management representative for the QMS. This will include ensuring that operations conform with SSPC QP 1, American Bureau of Shipping (ABS) and US Coast Guard requirements through the QMS. You'll also ensure consistent quality of production by validating processes, facilitating audits, conducting root cause analysis, providing documentation and managing staff.
We are currently developing and implementing a significant upgrade to our training processes to incorporate principles of lean manufacturing, Training Within Industry (TWI) and industry standards. You will support the training team in developing and enforcing standard work instruction systems, ensuring they are sustainably aligned with ISO 9001 standards.
Role SpecificsNote: this is a detailed description of the role. To get the 30,000-foot view, see the Role Overview tab.
In this role, you will be responsible for the effective development, management and continuous improvement of Bay Ship & Yacht's Quality Management System. Your activities will fall into four key areas.
With regard to the Quality Management System, you will:
- Develop, manage and continually improve the BSY QMS to successfully achieve defined corporate objectives.
- Work with production personnel to develop and sustain effective in-process quality systems.
- Manage an effective root cause analysis and corrective action system to continually eliminate quality deficiencies.
- Develop, manage and control project Quality Control Plans and documentation.
- Develop and provide, to senior management, a monthly QMS report featuring key quality performance metrics.
- Ensure that the QMS supports compliance with environmental, safety and health regulations.
- Work with the Training Department to develop competencies and continuous improvement systems in support of quality objectives.
- Support craft departments to ensure technical conformance with relevant quality requirements.
- Ensure that company quality control instruments are maintained in conformance with the QMS.
- Effectively manage an internal audit planning and performance system.
- Manage external audits as necessary.
- Perform audits of suppliers and subcontractors as necessary.
- Assisting and supporting other managers and departments as appropriate.
- Accomplishing additional tasks as assigned and/or as necessary for the success of the organization.
- Routinely contributing to the continual improvement of the organization.
What's in It for YouMulti-level impact
Our programs are stable, but continuous improvement is embedded in our culture and, as you know, required for compliance with ISO 9001 and other standards. You'll make an impact as you formalize and document processes, conduct and coach others on root cause analysis, lead quarterly and annual quality reviews with senior leaders, and more.
A successful quality assurance program is critical to achieving the BSY objective -- the 21st Century Shipyard -- and our mission of delivering absolute customer satisfaction. In fact, we are committed to exceeding our customers' quality standards on every project.
Great team environment
We believe in encouraging growth and innovation. At Bay Ship & Yacht Co., we understand that people are our most valuable asset. Our core values of respect, quality, safety, teamwork and communication are what guide us everywhere we operate. As you can see, you will become the steward of one of our core values. We also enjoy a casual atmosphere.
Autonomy and support
As the subject matter expert for quality, you'll have the elbow room you need to succeed. At the same time, you'll have support from collaborative coworkers who understand the importance of quality.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and life insurance; paid time off; a 401(k) plan and more.
Keys to SuccessYour technical expertise in quality assurance will be essential, but just as important will be your leadership and interpersonal skills. You should establish yourself as a resource to the various departments and crafts, one who can help them achieve goals. You'll find people to be open to improvement, and a collaborative approach almost always will work best. However, you also should be willing to be assertive as necessary.
To excel in this role you will approach internal teams with the same commitment to service that you bring to interactions with customers. We'll look to you to bring a strong sense of ownership to enhancing the department's and organization's reputation, remaining open to accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Quality Assurance Manager, you will:
- Stay abreast of emerging trends and best practices in quality management.
- Represent Bay Ship & Yacht effectively as you interact with external auditors and customers' quality assurance teams.
- Remain willing to put on steel-toed boots and a hard hat to spend time in production areas observing, doing root cause analysis and looking for opportunities to improve.
- Maintain open lines of communication with key contacts.
- Manage multiple activities and priorities effectively.
- Achieve goals independently and also contribute value as a team player.
About UsA passion for quality
Bay Ship & Yacht Co. (BSY) was founded in 1977 by Bill Elliott with primary focus on the construction and repair of wooden ships. Bill traveled the country with his crew, instilling in them a deep respect for the sea and a passion for achieving the level of quality that ocean travel demands.
That passion endured as the company made the transition to repairing, conversion and the building of commercial and military vessels and superyachts, and today anchors our mission to always deliver absolute customer satisfaction through exceptional quality, service and on-time delivery to meet customer expectations.
Bay Ship & Yacht's commitment to quality construction and repair is widely recognized throughout the commercial vessel community. That reputation is well-known to a growing circle of experienced superyacht owners who have made Bay Ship & Yacht their company of choice, and to a group of buyers who recognize that the Bay Ship & Yacht experience has set the standard for others to follow.
Pictured: We have, for over 30 years, built boats in wood, composite, steel or aluminum, from 8' to 120', including row boats, fishing boats, sailing yachts, high speed and low speed power yachts, commercial vessels and historic sailing ships, all custom, all unique and all built to the exacting standards of the boatbuilder's craft.